Thursday, December 5, 2013

Nuremburg/Nürnberg


There is a wonderful mom at our kids' school that plans fun outings for moms. Often they are museum tours which is great for me because I tend to not get to those on my own. This month it was a trip to Nuremberg to visit the Christmas markets and take a tour of the city.

While the weather was miserable, the company was fabulous and the tour was interesting. The market was actually smaller than I had anticipated. I didn't do much shopping but it is always interesting to look and of course we sampled the glühwein. We also had lunch at a sweet Gasthaus that overlooked the market square and the church.


My favorite sites were the Neues Museum tucked behind the town wall. Standing near the end of the building makes for a great picture in the reflection of the mirrored wall of the museum.


I also liked the Schöner Brunnen, a 14th century fountain in the town square. The fountain is made up of 40 different figures that represent significant people from throughout the church's history. There are two brass rings on the fence surrounding the fountain that bring good luck to you if you spin them.


The castle above the town and the view from above were also cool. And of course the Frauenkirche and its sweet little glockenspiel are worth a stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment