Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Christmas Eve (birthday)!


Christmas Eve and my birthday!  Since I highlighted Steve's I guess turnabout is fair play.  44 on the 24th seems like a good combination to me!

Dominic, AJ, Stefanie & Rachel
I started the day with a delicious breakfast in bed courtesy of Stefanie and AJ.  This is a tradition they seem to really like, they even got up early so I wouldn't have to wait... After a leisurely morning making sure Christmas prep was done it was present time.  As usual Steve made sure I was properly spoiled as did all of the kids.  Next we headed to lunch at the Hotel Schossberg right on Starnberger See.  (Lake Starnberg)  The weather here in Germany is unseasonably warm, in the high 50s.  The lake was smooth as glass and it was beautiful looking out over it while we enjoyed our lunch.

I must mention that we find it ridiculously ironic that it is sunny and springlike here in Germany while everywhere we could possibly be in the US for Christmas (Ohio, NY or Delaware) has snow.  A week ago I all but guaranteed our Christmas would be white while we were digging out from 10-12 inches of snow, but it was not to be!

After lunch we walked around out by the lake just enjoying the weather and view.

Once we returned home we started shifting out day towards Christmas Eve festivities.  Since it was my birthday Steve insisted that I not help with the cooking.  (He really had to twist my arm)  So, I read, relaxed, face-timed with my family, and the kids and I watched Christmas videos and started a jigsaw puzzle.   A perfect afternoon.

Steve made some of our traditional dinner for Christmas Eve.  Mushroom soup is the standard and it was delicious, he also did shrimp, salad and a little German stuffed potato something.  The stuffed potato something was supposed to take the place pierogis since we couldn't find them.  It wasn't the same, but that is perfectly OK, it was good to try something new.  On the list for next year is make our own pierogis - we'll see if that happens!

After dinner it was time for church.  The church on our corner, St Ulrich was having mass at 9pm which was perfect timing for us.  We love being able to walk to church; well Steve and I do, the kids aren't as impressed.  The church was beautifully decorated and mass was lovely. But we are all looking forward to when we can understand more of the mass and part of the homily.  In the meantime iMissal on our ipads allows us to follow along in English!

When we returned from church we did one last birthday thing - cake!  The kids sang and we all enjoyed cake that was homemade for me by Stefanie and frosted by Rachel.
Afterwards we did not have to chase the kids to bed.  They knew Santa and Mrs. Claus couldn't come if they were still awake.  Rachel wrote a lovely letter to Santa and left him a yummy snack of Christmas cookies and milk.

Merry Christmas Eve!

2 comments:

  1. Steve - next time, remote in the left hand! Great pics, we miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Missy!! And Happy Holidays to you and the family. The kids are so grown up now, and they are all gorgeous. :-)

    ~ Shelly and Wayne Owens

    ReplyDelete