Monday, October 13, 2014

Munich Half Marathon


Finished!
To keep myself motivated and running I signed up for the Munich Half Marathon. We had a busy autumn so it was good to have the race because it made sure I ran even when I didn’t feel like it or when I maybe had a little too good of a time the night before a long run!

Steve and I found a way to combine our two passions during my training.  I would do my long run to Andechs, his favorite brewery.  I would run either eight or ten miles and he would meet me there with a change of clothes and a bottle of water. Then we would have lunch and a bier, well radler (a mix of beer and sprite) for me. And he would drive me home!


When my brother and sister-in-law visited they joined us!  Abby and I ran the ten miles to Andechs and Todd and Steve met us there.




Halfway - still feeling good!
The half marathon itself was good.  Munich surprised me and the weather was quite warm, about 70 degrees. I’m not sure it had been that warm since we returned in August. Steve was my support person, waiting with me at the start and cheering me on at the halfway mark!

Steve's halfway spot! (Didn't suck)


I went out a little too fast, it’s been a long time since I “raced” this distance.  It made the last three miles hard work and a mental challenge but I finished.  Not only did I finish but I met my goal of finishing under two hours, 1:57:54.

The Munich Half Marathon is a good course, mostly flat and finishes in the Olympic Stadium.  I like that I have now climbed the roof and run a lap there!




No comments:

Post a Comment